The Collaborative’s research working group has been working on developing a database of relevant publications and assessment tools. We are exploring research opportunities for teaching kitchen programs to support the evaluation of clinical, behavioral, and financial outcomes across various populations and settings. A high priority is for the TKC to jointly develop a replicable teaching kitchen curriculum and to test this across multiple TKC member sites.
Below is a list of relevant published research related to the emerging field of teaching kitchens. This list is not meant to be comprehensive of every single article, but does attempt to gather key publications under important categories that may help serve as a starting point for people new to this field and/or writing grants summarizing the evidence base behind their programming.
1. Cooking-Based Health InterventionsPolak R, Pober D, Morris A, Arieli R, Moore M, Berry E, Ziv M. Improving Adherence to Mediterranean-Style Diet With a Community Culinary Coaching Program: Methodology Development and Process Evaluation. J Ambul Care Manage 2018;41(3):181-193. Sharma SV, Chuang RJ, Byrd-Williams C, Danho M, Upadhyaya M, Berens P, Hoelscher DM. Pilot evaluation of HEAL - A natural experiment to promote obesity prevention behaviors among low-income pregnant women. Prev Med Rep. 2018;10:254-262. Hagedorn RL, White JA, Franzen-Castle L, Colby SE, Kattelmann KK, White AA, Olfert MD. Teens Implementing a Childhood Obesity Prevention Program in the Community: Feasibility and Perceptions of a Partnership with HSTA and iCook 4-H. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018;15(5): E934. Adedokun OA, Plonski P, Jenkins-Howard B, Cotterill DB, Vail A. Healthy Choices for Every Body Adult Curriculum Improves Participants' Food Resource Management Skills and Food Safety Practices. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2018: S1499-4046(18)30106-4.Reicks M, Kocher M, Reeder J, Impact of Cooking and Home Food Preparation Interventions Among Adults: A Systematic Review (2011-2016). J Nutr Educ Behav 2018;50(2):148-172.e1. Overcash F, Ritter A, Mann T, Mykerezi E, Redden J, Rendahl A, Vickers Z, Reicks M. Positive Impacts of a Vegetable Cooking Skills Program among Low-Income Parents and Children. J Nutr Educ Behav 2017; S1499-4046(17)30974-0.Oakley AR, Nelson SA, Nickols-Richardson SM. Peer-Led Culinary Skills Intervention for Adolescents: Pilot Study of the Impact on Knowledge, Attitude, and Self-efficacy. J Nutr Educ Behav 2017;49(10):852-857.e1.Ellis J, Brown K, Ramsay R, Falk J. Changes in Student-Athletes' Self-Efficacy for Making Healthful Food Choices and Food Preparation Following a Cooking Education Intervention. J Nutr Educ Behav 2017; S1499-4046(17)30951-X. Pooler JA, Morgan RE, Wong K, Wilkin MK, Blitstein JL. Cooking Matters for Adults Improves Food Resource Management Skills and Self-confidence Among Low-Income Participants. J Nutr Educ Behav 2017;49(7):545-553.e1. Eisenberg DM, Righter AC, Matthews B, Zhang W, Willett WC, Massa J. Feasibility Pilot Study of a Teaching Kitchen and Self-Care Curriculum in a Workplace Setting. Am J Lifestyle Med. 2017, May 23. First Published Online.Begley A, Gallegos D, Vidgen H. Effectiveness of Australian cooking skill interventions. British Food Journal 2017; 119.Robson SM, Stough CO, Stark LJ. The impact of a pilot cooking intervention for parent-child dyads on the consumption of foods prepared away from home. Appetite. 2016;99:177–184.Garcia AL, Reardon R, McDonald M, Vargas-Garcia EJ. Community Interventions to Improve Cooking Skills and Their Effects on Confidence and Eating Behaviour. Current Nutrition Reports 2016; 5:315-322Delichatsios HK, Hauser ME, Burgess JD, Eisenberg DM. Shared medical appointments: a portal for nutrition and culinary education in primary care - a pilot feasibility project. Glob Adv Health Med. 2015 Nov; 4(6): 22–26.Reicks M, Trofholz AC, Stang JS, Laska MN. Impact of cooking and home food preparation interventions among adults: outcomes and implications for future programs. Journal of nutrition education and behavior. 2014 Aug 31;46(4):259–276.Flego A, Herbert J, Waters E, Gibbs L, Swinburn B, Reynolds J, et al. Jamie’s Ministry of Food: quasi-experimental evaluation of immediate and sustained impacts of a cooking skills program in Australia. PLoS One. 2014;9(12):e114673. Herbert J, Flego A, Gibbs L, et al. Wider impacts of a 10-week community cooking skills program - Jamie’s Ministry of Food, Australia. BMC Public Health. 2014;14(1):1161.Rodriguez J, Applebaum J, Stephenson-Hunter C, Tinio A, Shapiro A. Cooking, Healthy Eating, Fitness and Fun (CHEFFs): Qualitative evaluation of a nutrition education program for children living at urban family homeless shelters. American Journal of Public Health 2013; 103Rees R HK, Dickson K, O'Mara-Eves A, Thomas J. Communities that cook: a systematic review of the effectiveness and appropriateness of interventions to introduce adults to home cooking. London: EPPI-Centre: Social Science Research Unit, Institute of Education, University of London;2012.Archuleta M, VanLeeuwen D, Halderson K, Jackson KD, Bock MA, Eastman W, Powell J, Titone M, Marr C, Wells L. Cooking Schools Improve Nutrient Intake Patterns of People with Type 2 Diabetes. Journal of nutrition education and behavior 2012; 44:319-325Nichol H, Retallack J, Panagiotopoulos C. Cooking for your life! A family-centered community-based nutrition education program for youth with type 2 diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance. Canadian Journal of Diabetes 2008; 32:29-36Wrieden WL, Anderson AS, Longbottom PJ, Valentine K, Stead M, Caraher M, et al. The impact of a community-based food skills intervention on cooking confidence, food preparation methods and dietary choices — an exploratory trial. Public Health Nutr 2007;10(2):203–11. Condrasky M. Cooking with a chef: An innovative program to improve mealtime eating behaviors of caregiveres of preschool children. J Extension. 2006; 44(4). Levy J, Auld G. Cooking classes outperform cooking demonstrations for college sophomores. Journal of nutrition education and behavior 2004; 36:197-203Stead, M., Caraher, M., Wrieden, W. L., Longbottom, P. J., Valentine, K. & Anderson, A. S. Confident, fearful and hopeless cooks: Findings from the development of a food-skills initiative. British Food Journal, 2004;106(4): 274-287.
2. Nutrition/Cooking Education for Health ProfessionalsMonlezun DJ et al. Machine Learning-Augmented Propensity Score-Adjusted Multilevel Mixed Effects Panel Analysis of Hands-On Cooking and Nutrition Education versus Traditional Curriculum for Medical Students as Preventive Cardiology: Multisite Cohort Study of 3,248 Trainees over 5 Years. Biomed Research International 2018;5051289. Polak R, Phillips EM, Nordgren J, LaPuma J, La Barba J, Cucuzzella M, Graham R, Harlan TS, Burg T, Eisenberg DM. Health-related culinary education: a summary of representative emerging programs for health professionals and patients. Global Advances in Health & Medicine. 2016;5(1):61-68.Eisenberg DM, Burgess JD. Nutrition Education in an Era of Global Obesity and Diabetes: Thinking Outside the Box. Acad Med. 2015;90:854-860.Eisenberg DM. Nutrition Education in 2040-An Imagined Retrospective. J Grad Med Educ. 2015;7:489-491.Monlezun DJ, Leong B, Joo E, Birkhead AG, Sarris L, and Harlan TS, Novel Longitudinal and Propensity Score Matched Analysis of Hands-On Cooking and Nutrition Education versus Traditional Clinical Education among 627 Medical Students, Advances in Preventive Medicine, vol. 2015. Monlezun DJ, Kasprowicz E, Tosh KW, Nix J, Urday P, Tice D, Sarris L, Harlan TS. Medical school-based teaching kitchen improves HbA1c, blood pressure, and cholesterol for patients with type 2 diabetes: Results from a novel randomized controlled trial. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice 2015; 109:420-426Devries S, Dalen JE, Eisenberg DM, et al. A deficiency of nutrition education in medical training. Am J Med. 2014;127(9):804–6. Birkhead AG, Foote S, Monlezun DJ, et al. Medical student-led community cooking classes: a novel preventive medicine model that's easy to swallow. Am J Prev Med. 2014;46:e41–2. Kris-Etherton P.M., Akabas S.R., Bales C.W., Bistrian B., Braun L., Edwards M.S., Laur C., Lenders C.M., Levy M.D., Palmer C.A., et al. The need to advance nutrition education in the training of health care professionals and recommended research to evaluate implementation and effectiveness. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2014;99:1153S–1166S. Eisenberg DM, Myrdal Miller A, McManus K, Burgess J, Bernstein AM. Enhancing medical education to address obesity: “See one. Taste one. Cook one. Teach one." JAMA Intern Med. 2013;173:470-472.
3. Culinary Nutrition Education for Dietetic Professionals & ChefsKerrison DA, Condrasky MD, Sharp JL. Culinary nutrition education for undergraduate nutrition dietetics students. British Food Journal. 2017; Vol. 119 (5): 1045-1051. Abdulsalam N, Condrasky M, Bridges W, Havice P. The Promise of Andragogy and Experimental Learning to Improve Teaching of Nutrition Concepts to Culinary Arts Students. Food Science Education. 2017; Vol. 16: 54-61.Abdulsalam N, Condrasky M, Bridges W, Havice P. Evaluation of Applied Nutrition Concepts in Culinary Arts Education. 2017; Vol 61 (2): 127-132. Abdulsalam N, Condrasky M, Bridges W and Havice P. Assessment of Culinary Students’ Knowledge, Perceptions and Practices of Nutrition Science. 2017; Vol 61 (2): 107-112.
4. Trends in Home Food Preparation & Connection to Health
Utter J, Larson N, Laska MN, Winkler M, Neumark-Sztainer D. Self-Perceived Cooking Skills in Emerging Adulthood Predict Better Dietary Behaviors and Intake 10 Years Later: A Longitudinal Study. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2018;50(5):494-500. Liu G, Zong G, Wu K, Hu Y, Li Y, Willett WC, Eisenberg DE, Hu FB, Sun Q. Meat Cooking Methods and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes: Results From Three Prospective Cohort Studies. Diabetes Care 2018; 41(5):1049-1060.Fiolet T, Srour B, Sellem L, Kesse-Guyot E, Allès B, Méjean C, et al. Consumption of ultra-processed foods and cancer risk: results from NutriNet-Santé prospective cohort. BMJ 2018; 360:k322. Tiwari A, Aggarwal A, Tang W, Drewnowski A. Cooking at Home: A Strategy to Comply With U.S. Dietary Guidelines at No Extra Cost. Am J Prev Med. 2017 May;52(5):616-624. McGowan L, Caraher M, Raats M, et al. Domestic Cooking and Food Skills: A Review, Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2017 Jul 24;57(11):2412-2431. Taillie LS, Poti JM. Associations of Cooking With Dietary Intake and Obesity Among Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Participants. Am J Prev Med. 2017 Feb;52(2S2):S151-S160. Zong G, Eisenberg DM, Hu FB, Sun Q. Consumption of Meals Prepared at Home and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes: An Analysis of Two Prospective Cohort Studies. PLoS Med. 2016 Jul 5;13(7):e1002052. Mills S., White M., Brown H., Wrieden W., Kwasnicka D., Halligan J., Robalino S. & Adams J., Health and social determinants and outcomes of home cooking: A systematic review of observational studies, Appetite (2017).Adams J, Goffe L, Adamson AJ, Halligan J, O’Brien N, Purves R, Stead M, Stocken D, White M. Prevalence and socio-demographic correlates of cooking skills in UK adults: cross-sectional analysis of data from the UK National Diet and Nutrition Survey. The international journal of behavioral nutrition and physical activity 2015; 12:99Wolfson JA, Bleich SN. Is cooking at home associated with better diet quality or weight-loss intention? Public health nutrition 2015; 18:1397-1406McLaughlin C, Tarasuk V, Kreiger N. An examination of at-home food preparation activity among low-income, food-insecure women. J Am Diet Assoc. 2003 Nov; 103(11):1506-12.Smith LP, Ng SW, Popkin BM (2013) Trends in US home food preparation and consumption: analysis of national nutrition surveys and time use studies from 1965–1966 to 2007–2008. Nutr J 12: 45. pmid:23577692Virudachalam S, Long JA, Harhay MO, Polsky DE, Feudtner C. Prevalence and patterns of cooking dinner at home in the USA: NHANES 2007–2008. Public health nutrition 2013; FirstView:1-9
5. Measuring Cooking Skills and Food Literacy
Gibbs, HD, Ellerbeck EF, Gajewski B, Zhang C, Sullivan DK. The Nutrition Literacy Assessment Instrument is a Valid and Reliable Measure of Nutrition Literacy in Adults with Chronic Disease. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior 2018; 50(3):247–257.e1Lahne J, Wolfson JA, Trubek A. Development of the Cooking and Food Provisioning Action Scale (CAFPAS): A new measurement tool for individual cooking practice. Food Quality and Preference 2017; 62:96-105Fordyce-Voorham S. An evaluation tool for measuring food skills acquisition. British Food Journal. 2017; Vol. 119 (5): 1028-1044. Trubek AB, Carabello M, Morgan C, Lahne J. Empowered to cook: The crucial role of ‘food agency’ in making meals. Appetite 2017; 116:297-305Jomori MM, Proenca RP, Guanilo ME, Bernardo GL, Uggioni PL, Fernandes AC. Construct validity of Brazilian cooking skills and healthy eating questionnaire by the known-groups method. British Food Journal. 2017; Vol. 119 (5): 1003-1016. Goh LML, Wong AXY, Ang GY, Tan ASL. Effectiveness of nutrition education accompanied by cooking demonstration. British Food Journal. 2017; Vol. 119 (5): 1052-1066.Wolfson JA, Bostic S, Lahne J, Morgan C, Henley S, Harvey J, Trubek A. A comprehensive approach to understanding cooking behavior: Implications for research and practice. British Food Journal. 2017; Vol. 119 (5): 1147- 1158. McCloat A, Mooney E, Hollywood LE. Have Irish parents put cooking on the back burner? An Island of Ireland study of the food skills, cooking confidence and practices of parents. British Food Journal 2017; 119.Lavelle F, Spence M, Hollywood L, McGowan L, Surgenor D, McCloat A, Mooney E, Caraher M, Raats M, Dean M. Learning cooking skills at different ages: a cross-sectional study. The international journal of behavioral nutrition and physical activity 2016; 13:119Lavelle F, McGowan L, Spence M, Caraher M, Raats MM, Hollywood L, McDowell D, McCloat A, Mooney E, Dean M. Barriers and facilitators to cooking from ‘scratch’ using basic or raw ingredients: A qualitative interview study. Appetite 2016; 107:383-391Raber M, Chandra J, Upadhyaya M, Schick V, Strong LL, Durand C, Sharma S. An evidence-based conceptual framework of healthy cooking. Prev Med Rep 2016; 4:23-28McGowan L, Caraher M, Raats M, Lavelle F, Hollywood L, McDowell D, Spence M, McCloat A, Mooney E, Dean M. Domestic Cooking and Food Skills: A Review. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 2015:0Vidgen H., Gallegos D. Defining food literacy and its components. Appetite. 2014;76:50–59. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2014.01.010.Hartmann, C., Dohle, S., and Siegrist, M. Importance of cooking skills for balanced food choices. Appetite. 2013; 65: 125–131Vidgen H, & Gallegos D. (2012). Defining food literacy, its components, development and relationship to food intake: A case study of young people and disadvantage. Brisbane, Queensland: Queensland University of Technology.Barton KL, Wrieden WL, Anderson AS. Validity and reliability of a short questionnaire for assessing the impact of cooking skills interventions. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 2011; 24:588-595Condrasky MD, Williams JE, Catalano PM, Griffin SF. Development of psychosocial scales for evaluating the impact of a culinary nutrition education program on cooking and healthful eating. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2011;43(6):511–516. doi: 10.1016/j.jneb.2010.09.013.Engler-Stringer R. Food, cooking skills, and health: A literature review. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research 2010; 71:141-145Short F. Domestic cooking skills–what are they? Journal of the HEIA 2003; 10:13-22
Bowen S, Elliott S, Brenton J. The Joy of Cooking? Contexts 2014; 13:20-25Wolfson JA, Frattaroli S, Bleich SN, Smith KC, Teret SP. Perspectives on learning to cook and public support for cooking education policies in the United States: A mixed methods study. Appetite 2017; 108:226-237Wolfson JA, Bleich SN, Clegg Smith K, Frattaroli S. What does cooking mean to you?: Perceptions of cooking and factors related to cooking behavior. Appetite 2016; 97:146-154Wolfson JA, Smith KC, Frattaroli S, Bleich SN. Public perceptions of cooking and the implications for cooking behaviour in the USA. Public health nutrition 2016; 19:1606-1615Wansink B, Payne CR. The joy of cooking too much: 70 years of calorie increases in classic recipes. Annals of Internal Medicine 2009; 150:291
7. Health Coaching
Hasson R; Stark AH; Constantini N; Polak R; Verbov G; Edelstein N; Lachmi M; Cohen R; Maoz S; Daoud N; Soltz-Aharony H; Stein-Zamir C. "Practice What You Teach" Public Health Nurses Promoting Healthy Lifestyles (PHeeL-PHiNe): Program Evaluation. Journal of Ambulatory Care Management 2018; 41(3):171–180. Polak R, Finkelstein A, Axelrod T, Dacey M, Cohen M, Muscato D, Shariv A, Constantini NW, Brezis M. Medical students as health coaches: Implementation of a student-initiated Lifestyle Medicine curriculum. Israel Journal of Health Policy Research 2017;6:42. Polak R, Sforzo GA, Dill D, Phillips EM, Moore M. Credentialed chefs as certified wellness coaches: call for action. Eat Behav. 2015. December;19:65–7.Shahnazari M, Ceresa C, Foley S, Fong A, Zidaru E, Moody S. Nutrition-focused wellness coaching promotes a reduction in body weight in overweight US veterans. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013;113(7):928–935.Smith LL, Lake NH, Simmons LA, Perlman A, Wroth S, Wolever RQ. Integrative Health Coach Training: A Model for Shifting the Paradigm Toward Patient-centricity and Meeting New National Prevention Goals. Glob Adv Health Med. 2013;2:66-74.Wolever RQ, Dreusicke M, Fikkan J, et al. Integrative health coaching for patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized clinical trial. Diabetes Educ. 2010;36:629-639.